Kaštel (Castle)

The location of the former tower of the medieval Frankapan fort.

The south-eastern wall of the parish office features a preserved stone tablet with a Glagolitic inscription about the construction of the tower in the year 1476. The tower was erected by Ivan VII the Younger, the last ruler of the island from the Frankapan family. In later years, the former feudal residence of the Princes of Krk was administrated by the Republic of Venice as a fort with castellan before it became neglected in the 19th century. In the early 20th century, a school and complex of municipal buildings with rectory and parish office for the Omišalj priest were constructed in its place. Today, the seat of the Municipality of Omišalj is still here. The cistern from the central courtyard dates back to the Frankapan period; it was renovated at the beginning of the 20th century.

The Glagolitic inscription about the construction of the castle on the wall of the parish office reads: In the name of God, amen. In June 1476, when the construction of this castle began during the reign of Prince Ivan and his son Mikula.