The former cemetery of Omišalj.

The name Smitir comes from the Latin word coemeterium, meaning cemetery. The deceased were buried around the church from the Middle Ages until burials within settlements were banned by the early Austrian administration. From 1818 until World War One, the cemetery was located in front of the town on the site of the former Benedictine monastery and the Church of St. Nicholas. After that, it was moved to a new location away from the town.